IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
From the March 2015 issue
Leaving One Slot Empty: Flit Bubble Flow Control for Torus Cache-Coherent NoCs
By Sheng Ma, Zhiying Wang, Zonglin Liu, and Natalie Enright Jerger
Short and long packets co-exist in cache-coherent NoCs. Existing designs for torus networks do not efficiently handle variable-size packets. For deadlock free operations, a design uses two VCs, which negatively affects the router frequency. Some optimizations use one VC. Yet, they regard all packets as maximum-length packets, inefficiently utilizing the precious buffers. We propose flit bubble flow control (FBFC), which maintains one free flit-size buffer slot to avoid deadlock. FBFC uses one VC, and does not treat short packets as long ones. It achieves both high frequency and efficient buffer utilization. FBFC performs 92.8 and 34.2 percent better than LBS and CBS for synthetic traffic in a $4 \times 4$ torus. The gains increase in larger networks; they are 107.2 and 40.1 percent in an $8 \times 8$ torus. FBFC achieves an average 13.0 percent speedup over LBS for PARSEC workloads. Our results also show that FBFC is more power efficient than LBS and CBS, and a torus with FBFC is more power efficient than a mesh.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Paolo Montuschi Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- IEEE Transactions on Computers EIC Albert Zomaya receives two IEEE awards.
New Essential Set
- "Cloud Computing" available at computer.org/store
- "Industrial Implementations of Floating-Point Units" available at computer.org/store
- Farewell State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editorial From the New Editor in Chief (Jan 2015)
- In Memorium (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2012)
- State of the Journal (May 2011)
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic (August 2014)
- Special Issue on Network-on-Chip (March 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud of Clouds (January 2014)
- Special Section on Concurrent On-Line Testing and Error/Fault Resilience of Digital Systems (September 2011)
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TC content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks