IEEE Transactions on Computers
IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) is a monthly publication that publishes research in such areas as computer organizations and architectures, digital devices, operating systems, and new and important applications and trends.
From the April 2015 issue
Mission Reliability, Cost and Time for Cold Standby Computing Systems with Periodic Backup
By Gregory Levitin, Liudong Xing, Barry W. Johnson, and Yuanshun Dai
Life critical applications like space missions and flight controls require their computing systems to be equipped with some fault-tolerance mechanism to meet stringent reliability requirements by performing the intended function even in the case of element failures. Such benefit, however, cannot come without extra time as well as extra overhead and capital costs. This paper for the first time considers the modeling and evaluation of mission reliability, expected mission time and cost simultaneously for 1-out-of-$N$ : G non-repairable cold standby computing systems subject to periodic backup actions. Based on the suggested numerical evaluation method, the optimal backup frequency problems are formulated and solved, providing the optimal number of backup operations during the mission to maximize the system reliability or to minimize the mission cost or time. In the case of non-identical system elements, the optimal standby element sequencing problem arises as the order in which the system elements are initiated can impact the system reliability and mission cost and time greatly; such problems are formulated and solved for the 1-out-of-$N$ : G cold standby computing systems with periodic backups. Furthermore, a combined optimization problem is considered, where a combination of the element initiation sequence and backup frequency providing the best combination of mission reliability, cost, and time is found. The proposed methodology can facilitate a reliability-cost-time tradeoff study in the practical design of cold standby systems, thus assist in making the optimal decision on the system's standby and backup policy. Examples are provided for illustrating the considered problems and suggested solution methodology.
Editorials and Announcements
- Dr. Paolo Montuschi Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- IEEE Transactions on Computers EIC Albert Zomaya receives two IEEE awards.
New Essential Set
- "Cloud Computing" available at computer.org/store
- "Industrial Implementations of Floating-Point Units" available at computer.org/store
- Farewell State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editorial From the New Editor in Chief (Jan 2015)
- In Memorium (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2012)
- State of the Journal (May 2011)
- Special Section on Computer Arithmetic (August 2014)
- Special Issue on Network-on-Chip (March 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud of Clouds (January 2014)
- Special Section on Concurrent On-Line Testing and Error/Fault Resilience of Digital Systems (September 2011)
Access Recently Published TC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TC content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Importance of Coherence Protocols with Network Applications on Multi-Core Processors
Automated Generation of Performance and Dependability Models for the Assessment of Wireless Sensor Networks