Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the March 2015 Issue
Estimating Computational Requirements in Multi-Threaded Applications
By Juan F. Pérez, Giuliano Casale, and Sergio Pacheco-Sanchez
Performance models provide effective support for managing quality-of-service (QoS) and costs of enterprise applications. However, expensive high-resolution monitoring would be needed to obtain key model parameters, such as the CPU consumption of individual requests, which are thus more commonly estimated from other measures. However, current estimators are often inaccurate in accounting for scheduling in multi-threaded application servers. To cope with this problem, we propose novel linear regression and maximum likelihood estimators. Our algorithms take as inputs response time and resource queue measurements and return estimates of CPU consumption for individual request types. Results on simulated and real application datasets indicate that our algorithms provide accurate estimates and can scale effectively with the threading levels.
Editorials and Announcements
- EICs Undergoing Reappointment for 2016-2017 Terms: IEEE Computer Society publications have editors in chief who are currently standing for reappointment to a second two-year term. The Publications Board invites comments upon the tenures of the individual editors. Please click here for more details.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 2.292.
- TSE celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Editorial: What Makes a Publication Archival? (March/April 2011)
- Editorial: State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2011)
- Editorial (Nov/Dec 2010)
- How Special Should Issues Be? (Jul/Aug 2010)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up to receive email alerts when a new issue of TSE is online.